Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Update

So if you read my last blog entry, you know that I've been in a really hard situation at work lately. So here's an update as of two days ago. I had the weekend to think, relax. and get my feelings together. And after talking with friends and receiving indirect advice from a Korean English teacher/local Christian Church Deacon, I decided to express my feelings to my co-teacher, despite it not being the most "respectful" action here in Korea.

So two days ago, I went up to my co-teacher and I basically stated, how there had been something on my mind and that I felt like I needed to talk to her about it. I said when she kicked our student, I felt extremely uncomfortable and the feeling hadn't gone away. I went into how corporal punishment is not accepted and is illegal in the States, so I spent a lot of time trying to accept it here. I told her that I wasn't okay with it and never will be, but I have accepted it as being a part of the Korean education system. However the kick was way too much, and that I thought it was very wrong. She explained that she saw I was uncomfortable too, was sorry for the boy, agreed that it was too much, but she was very angry with him, because he was always coming in late, and was refusing to work, making annoying noises during class, and that she wanted to make a point to the class but especially to him. "His mother called me that night, yelling at me, using very bad words towards me, and told me that she would make noise with the principal. She is a terrible, terrible woman. I could not sleep that night. Also it was very hot that day, everything got out of control." These were her exact words. So as she was speaking, my emotions were on a freaking roller coaster. I was thankful she was telling me, I was elated with joy that our student went home and told his mother, I was upset that my co-teacher still couldn't fully admit that she was completely in the wrong, and REPULSED that she was saying that this mother was wrong in defending and protecting her son. She was being a mother. A mother protects their children, she is wise, she is responsible, and she will do anything and everything to keep their child safe. This mother was being just that. A mother.

I've felt pride for my past and present students academically, but I never knew how much pride I could have for my students emotionally until this moment. My reaction was simple. Nodding. I never once spoke something in response to her words. I felt that was the best choice since I know if I opened my mouth, things would get ugly. So overall, I am glad that I opened up to her and expressed my feelings. My goal was to keep my emotions and opinions short and to the point, saying what I needed to say, get her side of it, and be done. And that's exactly what happened. I ended it with telling her I'm glad we talked about it. We're fine now, except for the fact that if she ever does anything like that again, I will be sure to go to the principal, now that I know there has been a threat made against her/he has talked with her. Either way, I never want to experience anything like that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment