Friday, December 7, 2012

MK's Kitchen: No-Bake Energy Flax Balls


When your kitchen contains no oven, no microwave, no blender and no toaster, and when you're too cheap to go out and buy them... there's no choice but to get creative. A few months ago I started making these energy balls for post runs. I stopped making them after I ran out of my Trader Joe's organic peanut butter, because I couldn't bare to use regular Skippy with them. When my mom sent me basically the entire TJ's stock, along with flax seed meal, I got back on the grind and decided to post the recipe. I originally found it on Pinterest, but there are similar, if not identical recipes all over the Internet.

I usually eat one or two post-workout when my body is craving protein. If I'm running late in the morning, I'll bring two as part of my breakfast. It helps to awaken my body and start boosting my metabolism right from the start of the day.


First of all, I am grateful to my mom for being the health conscious woman she is, and raising us in a healthy house, full of delicious nutritious foods. It allowed me to grow up and discover new foods to incorporate into my life, and be aware of the options that are out there.

Benefits of Flax:

-prevention of acne (Flax can come in liquid or capsule form)
-muscle building
- lowering of cholesterol
-great for people with high blood pressure, heart disease, and diabetes
-high in fiber, omega-3's and lignans
-weight control
-some studies have shown it fights breast cancer, but nothing has been proven 
-You can include flax in sooo much and it's
becoming more and more popular on the shelves!
--> Muffin mix, cereal, oatmeal, bread, chips, etc.

Warnings:

-Do not consume whole flax seeds, for they are not easily digestible. You should eat them in powdered form (flax seed meal.)
-Limit your intake. Use common sense- just don't go overboard with the stuff, for it can have serious laxative effects. (I think you get the picture)
-Make sure you're drinking enough water with them, for lack of good old H2O can have the same laxative effect.

*Some men joke that they won't eat flax because it contains lignans, which is a chemical very similar to estrogen. Suck it up, a little won't hurt you boys =)


I make a bulk at a time, so the pictures below show double what this recipe calls for. Yes, I still have a hard time cooking for myself- that's what 4 brothers will do to you. I almost always have leftovers haha. I just can't seem to get it straight.
**But for these, it's good to have in bulk so you can grab and go and not worry about running out so often.

Ingredients:
1 cup dry oats (I crush up Bran Flakes, since instant oats are hard to find/really expensive in Korea)

1 cup toasted coconut flakes
1/2 cup peanut butter (almond butter)
1/2 cup ground flax seed meal
1/3 cup honey
1 tsp. vanilla

(Makes about 1.5 dozen/18-20 balls)


Optionals:

1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup nuts (almond slices, cashews, walnuts, etc.) I usually add almond splices but was out when making this particular recipe.
This recipe is quick and easy. If you are out of one of the dry ingredients, just substitute it with more of another one.


Of course I forgot to show the flax in here, but it's the most important ingredient. Don't forget it!
Start with pouring the oats in a large mixing bowl.
Protein time! Pour in peanut butter (or almond butter if you prefer).
Pour in your flax meal.
Pour in the coconut flakes. Yummm
Pour in the honey. This is what helps the PB stick everything together.
Next is your vanilla. (This is TJ's brand from home. I have yet to find liquid vanilla extract in Korea. . but Home Plus sells vanilla in a powdered form that works just as well.)
I almost always add chocolate chips. (Dark or semi-sweet are a more health-conscious choice than milk.) This is when you should add your nuts if desired.
At this point all of your ingredients should be mixed evenly together.
And it looks something like this. If the mixture is too sticky, add more dry mixture. Store in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to cool and harden.
After 30 minutes, take the mixture out and roll into bite-size balls. I usually make mine a tad bit bigger. But it's all up to you =) Store in the refrigerator and enjoy! =)








No comments:

Post a Comment