Monday, May 14, 2012

Flip Cup, Jeopardy, and Hangman... Work Hard and You Will Be Rewarded. Simple. As. That.



... Little did they know, they were still learning English. Never a complete freebee in my classroom.

One of my 6th grade classes finally earned themselves their game day today! As I explained in one of my first posts, I have a Behavior Plan Chart for all seven of my classes, and their first reward is game day. (The next is movie day, cooking class, and then a party.) I have been planning this day for a while now, so I think I was more excited than them when they got their last sticker on Friday. I wanted to make it extra wonderful so that they would tell the other 6th grade classes to bump it up. Hopefully it works. That is the plan. But mostly, because they really do deserve it. This class in particular puts in a tremendous amount of effort every day, and I really do appreciate it. I had three stations set up.

The first was, English and K-Pop Jeopardy. (I tried multiple times to get my hands on a K-Pop Bomb Game that's been making its way around Native Teachers here, but  the file is so complicated that it wasn't working. I gave up and just included K-Pop in the Jeopardy game). For all of you people back home, K-Pop is the pop music scene in Korea, and is BEYOND HUGE. These teenagers can't get enough of it, and I am beginning to become a little addicted to certain groups myself. With most K-Pop songs, the artists will have a few English lyrics wihtin the song. (some that make complete sense and some that you cannot decipher the meaning of for the life of you.. but those are all the more fun haha.) Like the bomb game, the K-Pop categories consisted of questions containing English lyrics, and the students would have to guess the name of that specific song. (For example, "Just like her I want to be pretty. Don't lie to my face telling me I'm pretty" -'Ugly' by 2ne1 and "Baby don't leave me, I know you still love me"- 'Bad Boy' by Big Bang.) Along with K-Pop, students had material from their textbooks to answer as well.

Station two was hangman. Students had a chance to be the teacher and pick from certain words I had previously picked out for them to use.

The third staion was their favorite... English Flip Cup. It's amazing how a college binge drinking game can turn into an exciting, beneficial, English review. I had printed out sentence strips (review from past lessons), and instead of filling their cups with water, they had to take out the sentence strip that was in their cup, read it, flip the cup.. and well you know how the rest goes. They LOVED it. Of course it got way to noisy during the first rotation, which is expected as a teacher when you introduce anything that strays from a typical day in the classroom. After reminding them of  them of their noise level, things went smoothly, and the students had a grand old time. The highlight was seeing these kids completely take on the role of college kid during a game of flip cup..cheering on their team, eyeing their opponents on the other side while simultaneiously leaning over the table to see who's going to finish first, and then turning into crazed people the second that last person on the end sucessfully flips their cup. Very comical for me. However, I think my co-teacher had more fun watching them than I did. She couldn't say enough great things about this game. I reminded them at least three different times, that they were the very first class to make it to game day and that they should be very happy with themselves. I think it made them feel really good to be rewarded in a class they only have three days a week. Here's a video of what I caught of game day while still trying to be in charge of the Jeopardy game going on... a little challenging.

No comments:

Post a Comment