Thursday, May 17, 2012

From Strangers To Friends

So two days ago I went to my second teacher's dinner at a duck restaurant. I have come to love duck, but I was expecting it to be similar to the restaurant that my friends and I frequent in Andong. It consists of cut up duck meat that you cook yourself over a burner. Not here. They literally had an open duck that they brought out. Thank gosh the head was previously removed. It was halfway cut open, but we had to finish the job ourselves. When we opened it, the sight was amazing. I regret not taking a picture of it. Meat everywhere, along with cooked raisins and a variety of roasted nuts. I don't know how they achieved getting all of that in there. There were also two huge boiled eggs on the outskirts of the duck, which were excellent. The entire thing once opened, reminded me of a cornucopia. (maybe that's because I just finished The Huger Games,) but either way, it was a magnificent sight. And yes.. absolutely delicious. Just like our last teacher's dinner, there was course after course. I think they just order everything they can possibly get at these restaurants, because the food just kept on coming. From chicken rice porridge ( 닥죽 "dakjuk",) to some scrumptious red tea. However this time, my principal and vice principal were not shoving soju in my face so that was nice. Let's hope that was just a part of the Welcoming Dinner scenario.

So here starts the real interesting part of the night. I got a ride home from the head secretary along with some of other teachers. He dropped me and one of the other fifth grade teachers off a few blocks away from my apartment (He lives a block away from me.) Alittle side comment about this man.. he is hysterical! I have NO idea what he says or what he jokes about, but everyday during our tea break, (my English classroom is on the same floor as the fifth grade so we all have a daily tea and coffee break together from 9:40-10:00) he has these teachers laughing their heads off. And he'll just sit back like a great comedian does, never once laughing at his own jokes.  I was hitting my block, so I said goodbye but he stopped me, and in his broken English, got across that his son was meeting us. Of course he waits to tell me this at the last second as I'm about to step onto my street. So what do I say, "Oh great! Ok!" His son shows up literally 30 seconds later. Completely fluent, talking up a storm with me. First thing he says, "My father is worried about you because you walk to school every morning. He wants to drive you. I'm just transferring for my father. This is not my thinking." Hahaha. My favorite part- the use of transferring instead of translating. I explained that it's great exercise every morning especially with the big hill I have to climb up to get to the school, but his father wouldn't have it. So as of yesterday, I am now driving to school with him every morning. Of course I am beyond grateful, but I do miss my workout up that hill every morning and my time to myself. Just me and my iPod. That's the frustrating part, is that saying no here is such a hard thing to do because it's considered very rude, especially to those older than you. I am younger and I am a foreigner which means I need to oblige by their every wissh and make life easier for them. There's no good way of getting across, "Thank you so much but I really enjoy the nice workout in the morning, but thank you so much for your offer, I appeciate it." Again, collectivism is everywhere. There is not a lot of room to be independent and stray from what everyone else is doing, which is why I LIVE for the time that I do have to myself, where I can speak my mind and opinion and just do my own thing. I really do miss that. It's funny when you move to a new country, your mind wonders about all of the things that you'll miss in time. But they all seem to be material things, physical objects, etc. like certain foods, your bed, your family etc. But once you're here, you realize that some of the things you miss are things you can't see, touch, or feel.

I was invited into their home for coffee. His wife is great, so funny. She was telling me that this was a surprise, so she was running around like a maniac cleaning and clearing the floor for us. (By the tone of voices between her and her husband when we arrived, I'm thinking she had not been warned at all that I would be showing up at her door haha.) But like every other Korean's home I've been in, she was beyond welcoming, whipping up a tray of coffee, strawberries and melon. I found out that her son, who's English name by the way is Nixon, after the President (I chose not ask him if he is aware that this man is known for a huge political scandal.) He goes to Busan National University and majors in Chinese Literature. Smarty! So basically he is fluent in two languages and on his way to a third. Beyond jealous. I told him I have a Korean friend who majored in Chinese. He was very excited to hear this was a girl and not a guy. I told him I'd set them up, but then he laughed and said no no and got embarassed. Good thing, since I was joking. She has a boyfriend anyway. His father was asking question after question, of course the son translating. What do you eat for breakfast? You live alone? So then who cooks? What do you cook? Do you use Korean materials (I'm guessing he meant ingredients)? What does your father do for work? The night ended with Nixon asking me when my summer vacations are, because he wanted to set up English-Korean Exchange classes with me. So excited! A lot of people do that here. Very informal, we'll probably just meet at a coffee shop a few days a week and teach eachother our languages. I believe it's the best environment for learning a new language.

By the way, my car rides with his father have been going well. Today I taught him how to say "It is sunny." and "Tomorrow will be sunny." He taught me yesterday how in Korea, asking "How are you?" and "Did you eat breakfast?" is the same. My co-teacher later explained to me that this has to do with Korea's history of being so poor. Asking "Did you eat breakfast?" was the common greeting because people wanted to make sure you had a meal that morning. Me and this man went from annyeong haseyos and smiles to daily conversations in car rides to school.  

No comments:

Post a Comment