Thursday, June 7, 2012

10K's- Korean style!

So I recently completed my first two 10K's. Both under 1 hour and 10 mins. Thanks to my gymnastics injuries that still continue to inflict long-term pain (torn ligament in my knee, and two fragile ankles), I was a little nervous about them. However I am proud that I accomplished them both; it felt great.

The first was a Breast Cancer run, so prior to the race, the eight of us received a package including a pink t-shirt, and sweatband. It was held in Daejeon, where our orientation was. It also happened to be our 3 month-anniversary, so it was kind of nice how we ended up where we started.. 3 months later. We were planning on going to a 찜질방 "jimjilbang" (Korean Sauna/Public bathhouse) after, however we were all just so exhausted and basically had one thing on our minds.. food. We ended up at Ashley's (a buffet chain). They serve Korean as well as Western food. But GOOD western food. Not your typical, cheap buffet food. They had amazing fruit and soups, cold pasta salads, pumpkin, grilled chicken dishes, sweet potato, cheesecake, etc. Delicious and satisfying after a huge run.

Clodagh, Dara, Angela, me, and Dayna

Conor, Alex, Angela, Joe, Dara, me, Dayna, and Clodagh

Dayna and I and are fabulous pink shoelaces. We fit right in with the Koreans and their love for bright neon colored shoe wear


The second run was in Andong, which I ran with a bunch of my Andong friends. I hadn't been training a lot for this one, since it was raining most days before and my knee was not cooperating, but everything went well nonetheless. After, we spotted a long line of certified Korean massage therapists with mats sprawled out on the grass. Of course we decided to get in on the fun! The second they noticed there were a bunch of foreigners on line, they started giggling and talking. I guess it's not every day a bunch of foreigners show up at a marathon in Andong, wanting massages. "Just roll with it." Me and my friend had a joke going between us that they were going to take one look at us and back-away because we were so sweaty and disgusting. (Koreans are known to not sweat as much, because they don't drink as much water as we do.) It's very interesting to me, because I am constantly drinking water, and I almost never see my Korean co-teachers with water close by.  Even at lunch, they don't have  water until after you throw out your tray. And even then, it's hot water and they fill the tiny cup halfway.
The lovely massage station
Me, Tom, and Jiro before the race


After-- Tom, me, and Jiro looking really attractive

My landlord found me!! He did the Half. Fighting!!


So a little something about Korean marathons..
You HAVE to witness the warm-up exercises. They are basically small dance moves, that do absolutely nothing to stretch your muscles. (We've come to the conclusion it's probably geared to the elderly... however people of all ages LOVE this stuff.) There are dance numbers being performed by young girls, impersonating female K-Pop groups. The short skirts and all. There are awesome fireworks right before the race. And there is always an MC type guy who pumps you up till no end. I give them props. They're really good at getting people excited for the pain they're about to endure haha

Anyway, all in all- great experience, and I'm planning on signing up for more. However, I think I'll stick to 10K's. My knee keeps me from doing extreme anything.. unfortunately, so I need to make  somewhat responsible decisions so that I don't ruin my body in my mid-20's.

No comments:

Post a Comment