Monday, September 17, 2012

The Rainy Season

So typhoon season has been hitting for a while now, and today is our third major one in two months. The first two barely hit where I live. After hitting Okinawa right off of Japan, they went up the west coast of Korea, hitting Jeju Island and the cities along the coast. All my city saw was a ton of rain and strong winds, but nothing too too bad.

Last night, a bunch of waygook teachers were saying that their schools were cancelled, but teachers still had to go in. Well, my co-teacher has her own unique way of choosing not to communicate with me, so I kind of called it last night. And what do you know, as I came up to school, and saw the lack of boys playing soccer, and mad groups of children walking up the hill.. I knew this was the case for me as well.

So here I am, sitting in my office, being really productive! NOT. Honestly. What is the reasoning? I'm not complaining because I'm lazy and don't want to be here. I'm complaining because if this really is the "worst typhoon Korea has seen in 60 years.." why do they think adults should risk their safety, and can maybe handle it better. I'm sorry, but typhoons are part of mother nature, and she is not one you can really control. Schools are supposed to protect every single person in them, including students, faculty, and staff. One of the fifth grade teachers saw me in the hallway, and told me how the students weren't coming in today, and how her mom said, "What about you? What if something happens?" So clearly, there is some understanding going on some place.

The worst part is that I forgot my book, so being that all of my lesson planning is done, I will most likely resort to sidereel, pinterest, and the never ending world of facebook. I'm also waiting on my new Macbok Pro that I just bought for myself. It should've been here today, so I'm hoping the mail is just late.. Spending the next eight hours playing around with it would make this day quite perfect actually.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment