Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Field Trip Turns Into Emotional Breakthrough


My co-teacher and I went on a field trip/picnic to Mungyeong Saejae with my sixth graders last week. Mungyeong Saejae is an old road that used to connect Busan and Seoul during the Joseon Dynasty. It is sometimes called Joreyong, since it lies on Mt. Joreyongsan. (The ending san in Korean means mountain.) Both names for this road mean bird pass. It was said that the three legendary gates along the road were too high for even birds to fly over. This place was absolutely beautiful. We hiked for about two hours total. Along the road we hit small waterfalls, quiet streams, and trees trying to thrust themselves into their Fall colors.










The ladles people drink the water from in the tiny pool (pictured in the photo below this.)  Yes I did it. Tried not to put my lips on it-my shirt took the spill. Bad choice- but in my defense, the flu is going around.







Fun fact: When we first got there, I was asked to be in charge of the 6th grade graduation picture for their yearbook. I was the only one with a camera. (Four homeroom teachers and my co-teacher = no cameras.) Of course the foreigner brings her camera. So yeah- no pressure. I must have taken about eight different pictures. Hahaha. It was fun more than anything. I was delighted to do it. I cropped one of them-shown below: (Click on it to make it larger.)


The thing I most enjoyed about this trip was the lax and playfulness of my students, especially my disruptive ones. The few students (mostly boys) who I have the most trouble with in class were eager to walk with me, joke with me, and what was that?.. oh yeah... actually listen to and respect me. Two situations are worth mentioning. 

1. One of my boys was admiring my sunglasses. (These kids have never seen me with sunglasses on. Fact: Not a lot of Koreans even where them. I've mostly seen them on the young men and women in big cities like Seoul and Busan, but still- very rare. We really do joke that we are celebrities as we walk down the streets in our shades and countless stares.) As he was making comments, I asked him if he wanted to wear them. His face lit up, and as he put them on, his friends were snapping pictures left and right. He quickly gained the nickname, "cool boy." (By the way, he didn't care/have the knowledge that he was clearly wearing the fakest aviators ever, costing a whopping 10,000 won. Around $9.00). I roll big.I actually forgot he had them, until about 30 minutes later. He returned them to me carefully without a scratch on them haha.


2. Now let's bring things over to the student I have the most trouble with (the same boy who was kicked in the ribs by my co-teacher.) I was walking around the village at the end of our hike snapping pictures here and there when I ran into him and his friend. The friend spots me and says, "Teacher!" Come here. It is beautiful!" So of course I walk over and there is this really awesome old chair with two longs bars jutting out of the sides. When I'm done trying it out, I walk over to this beautiful closet against one of the houses, and my student gets inside and closes the doors... probably to scare his friend.  I asked to take a picture, and he gives the camera the biggest smile I've seen on that afce of his. I'm pretty sure the only smile I've ever seen on him. I know this is something so small and maybe insignificant to others, but for me it was HUGE. 


This student is so low-level, barely even saying "hi" to me, and there is only so much I can do with language and culture barriers and stepping on superior's toes. Every day he steps into my class is a production. He is bored, disruptive, hyperactive, and not at all motivated to learn English. I stand there next to his desk giving him one-on-one attention trying to get him through somewhat of the material. I try everything in my  power every day he is in there. I know if I didn't I would go home knowing I didn't do my best as a teacher, but like I said, there is a point where I need to step back and just say, I've done what I can do for today. The lack of discipline and consistency from my co-teacher and I'm guessing his homeroom teacher as well, is affecting him severely. I've also noticed he may need some type of intervention with his hyperactivity and lack of attention. Yes, I'm aware I'm not a doctor, but I am a teacher with experience in various types of classrooms and learning environments. Part of our job is to keep an eye out for special needs students and their possible disabilities. It has always been proven a tough but crucial task. The result- the aid in student learning and success. And that is worth every controversial and nasty comment from parents, every meeting, every hour spent researching, documenting, and trial-and-error plans to get the student to their personal potential. This student makes involuntary noises and movements during class. He has a need to twist and turn, shake his arms around in the air, and call out short bursts of noise. Can this all be attention-seeking behavior? Of course. Could it be something deeper? Absolutely. This is how students slip through the cracks. Denial and choosing not to even look into it. The hardest part of this job- knowing I really can't do everything I would if circumstances were different. As a certified teacher, having taken classes, student teaching, practicums, and subbing- I have an abundance of knowledge as to how to help him- but I need help from other professionals and his parents. Unfortunately, I don't have that here. I don't have the acceptance (which is the first step), the support, or the drive of my co-workers. So like I said, to have this connection with him, even if it was as short as the snap of a camera flash literally) - made me admittedly a bit emotional. We teachers get more emotional than people realize. If we didn't, I'd worry. These students are our job, our drive, and our inspiration. You spend most of your waking hours at your job. I chose these students as my life. At least until I have my own children, these kids are in a way, my own. Year after year. As an ESL Teacher working in a foreign country, who's co-workers don't even speak your language, things can get very impersonal inside the classroom. You feel the lack of emotional connection with your students that you got so naturally back at home. Something as simple as a student who has broken a bone or is really sick- there's only so much you can communicate through to them no matter how much Korean you know. It kills me when I see girls in fights with their friends or students who just seem down, and not be able to share my concern, care, and desire to make them feel safe, comfortable, and happy.

These are things you are not told about or even think to foresee before you start this job, and they are things you're inevitably going to have to deal with. Of course your co-teachers can make a world of difference if they work with you to translate your concern for your students, but there is still that one on one connection that you will always be missing. It's something I'm still learning to accept here (yes- even eight months in) but something I miss dearly from teaching back home.

Some memories of the day: (Yes, I'm aware there are a ton, but you non fb users need to be up to date =)) 


Oh the love between the boys in this country makes me smile.
This student has become one of my favorites. Gave me such a hard time in the beginning, but after one rough day and getting it into her head that I meant business- we've become bffs. She made my nickname "MaryCAKE" We spent a good 30 minutes arm-in-arm on the hike.)






Hahaha no problem.  Go in the water and get half of your pants wet. Parents won't mind in the least. At home- psssshhh would never happen


These girls were mad they were in the back and got covered up in the big picture above. So I gave them their own re-do










He was being Psy everywhere, even at the middle-school girls who passed who did their shy covering mouth laugh. Future Heartbreaker right here.








Such sweethearts these two


My special needs student. He had a great day out and about


She thought this was hilarious when I showed it to her
My bff. I swear I talk to her the most throughout my week. yes, over the adults in the school.


Eventually, yes, they caught a fish-- in a water bottle


No comments:

Post a Comment