Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy 4th from Andong, Korea!

My second 4th of July away from the island of Long, my family and my friends. This holiday has always been, unlike most people's my age, a very family oriented holiday. I wasn't out drinking with my friends all day and night. I was at home in our beautiful little backyard with my brothers at the grill, my mom taking care of mixed drinks, and family friends drinking, relaxing, and enjoying the beginning of summer. Sun, the pool, the heat, way too many appetizers, and the smell of barbecue. These are the things I miss.

I think this is why July 4th, along with Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day are the hardest times to be abroad for me. I know EXACTLY what I would be doing. There are traditions in place. And there's a sense of nostalgia. Of course celebrating holidays abroad are one-of-a-kind experiences. Celebrating customs and foods with friends of different cultures and nationalities. Showing them what it's all about. It really is so nice to share that with them. But there is naturally a part of me that wishes that I was boarding a flight in Incheon right now, headed straight for that island, showing up in my backyard just in time for my brother's cheeseburger, some guac and chips, a cold Bud Light, and fireworks in my driveway. The worst part is that I now have this wonderful man in my life whom I miss terribly.. and for the first time on this holiday.. yes first time, I would have someone by my side watching those fireworks with.

BUT nonetheless!! I have wonderful friends here who are all chipping in to make our stomachs full and keep our faces smiling tonight. Also, despite my homesickness today, I am in an amazing mood. I knew I couldn't work out after school so I woke up early and went up to the roof. It's amazing how good you feel all day when you start your day with a workout. However, I am NOT a morning person, so this was quite the discipline and shock that I was actually able to get my ass out of bed. I had a lovely protein smoothie and a nice big cup of coffee. That's some serious satisfaction right there

Random fact: Tomorrow I will have been back in Korea five months already. I have so many wonderful, exciting things coming up! Here's to name a few:

July 13th (next Saturday): Michael Jackson's Cirque Du Solei in Seoul!
August 3rd- Tattoo time!!
August 13th (less than 6 weeks)- THAILAND for 2 weeks!!! Seeing my mom and family friend Susan!!
September 18th- Chuseok (Korean Thanksgiving) = 5 day weekend! Korean Island hopping!
October 12th- Picking up this amazing man from the airport. (It will have been 8 months since we had last seen each other)
October 14th- My 24th Birthday!!

Still trying to stay present-minded in this country and on every journey I take here on in.
I am beyond blessed to be given the opportunity to be here, experiencing everything that comes with it. But when February 2014 rolls around, I will be ready for my journey home. Not before making a pit stop in Vietnam and Cambodia of course.. No need to rush out of here just yet..

I'll leave you with some recent pictures for those of you who have not yet made it to the facebook world... including some of my students and some of my first Korean baseball game experience... Not quite the Yankees, I'll tell ya that much.Could it be the $7.00 ticket, the sparklers, the fried chicken, or the $2 beer? Maybe all four?


Fintan, me and Leandi
Even smaller than the Ducks Stadium..
Oh and the fried chicken... gag

Fintan, me, Leandi, and Harry

It was the last day of the semester at the Orphanage, so their housemother was kind enough to take us all out for ice cream. We then chipped in to bring them to an arcade where they had an absolute blast.


Some random Busan pictures during the Sand Castle Festival Weekend...
Lloyd and I.. we had to.
Lloyd, me, and Leandi
And some randoms of my students.. =)
They earned their Game Day- English Flip Cup


My orphanage kids




While waiting for my students on the stoops outside the classroom at the orphanage: This cutie comes up to me and pops a squat, gives me an unlabeled water bottle filled with some red liquid that he insists i drink... Then proceeds to talk my ear off in Korean as if I'm his long lost bff. When I asked him in Korean if he understands English, he starts singing the alphabet. Definitely a contender for the cutest most random moment thus far in my 16 1/2 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment