Monday, July 29, 2013

Special Needs Home Visit/Party! (The Peace House 평강 의집)

A few weeks ago, I decided to take part in a party at the Peace House that the AVA (Andong Volunteers Association) organized. The Peace House is a special needs home on the outskirts of Andong that a man and his family run. A good amount of foreigners here are affiliated with the local Christian church, whom donate money to the Peace House, which is in turn, how the foreign community came to find out about it. Since then, AVA has organized monthly visits. Unfortunately I always had something going on during those weekends, so this was the first time I had actually visited the home.

Side note: Serious kudos to Meredith Stein, president of AVA and a big reason as to why this all came together.

A little bit about the residents:
They range in age from 5 months old to about their 30 or 40's. I spent most of my time with two different residents. One 16 yr-old girl (who developmentally, looked about 8 or 9.) She is incapable of walking on her own and is most comfortable on her back resting on your legs. She is unable to speak well but had the biggest, most beautiful smile. This girl was all about the balloon we were passing around, and kept trying to hit it. I also spent some time with a 9 yr old, who again, physically looked like he was no more than 3 years old. He was just the cutest little boy. He sat between my legs the whole time, playing with my bracelets and a fan I gave him. During one of the games he was screaming and laughing and so full of life. There was another girl who walks on her knees, and is damn good at it I must say! She has such a light in her eyes. So much of the world can learn from her. I never once saw her frown, and she was just gliding across that floor so effortlessly. So full of life that one.

Lee Ji-wan, is an adorable baby boy who was given up by his parents because of his medical conditions. He has a condition called Congenital Anomaly Facial Cleft #7. This means that he has lateral facial cleft and ear deformities. Despite these conditions, his brain is a normally-functioning brain. Therefore, he has a bright future and a normal one at that. This home took him in and is their youngest resident at just five months old. The AVA was informed that he will need 3 surgeries total,  and the first one is roughly the cost of one foreign teacher's monthly salary (2,000,000won- 3,000,000won). The AVA decided to open up a separate bank account solely for Ji-wan. After a few short months of fundraisers and getting the word out, the Korean and foreign community of Andong has raised 2,300,000won ($2,072). As of a few days ago, we received news that Ji-wan will go to Seoul in a few weeks for his final evaluation and surgery. It really is quite amazing when a community of people, despite your culture, background, religion, beliefs, race, sex, etc. can come together for something simply because it's the right thing to do.

As of a few weeks ago, Ji-wan's father has very abruptly come back into his life. Now, I am about to say only what I've heard. Serious topics like this, can get misconstrued very easily. You have to keep in mind translation issues and Korea's "saving face" culture. Apparently from what we gathered, the father found out about what we were doing and how much money we raised, and he now wants the rights to his account, he wants to take Ji-wan to his surgery by himself (He made it clear he does not want anyone to go with him.) After the surgery he intends to take Ji-wan out of the Peace House and take him back home with him. Now, we all have very mixed feeling about this, but in the end it all comes back to the one similar conclusion... he most likely wants the money for himself, and even if he does get his son the surgery, he has no idea what the recovery will entail. Most importantly, we believe he does not have any right to this child after literally dumping him and leaving him for basically dead, just because he was too damn arrogant to love, care for him, and accept him as his own. But let's not fret- The AVA has complete rights over Ji-wan's funds and will not be handing them over that easily. OK. END OF RANT.
Ji-wan and our friend Gospel
   
We had organized a few different games and activities for the party, including face painting and Pass the Parcel, where we sat in a big circle and passed around a huge wrapped gift. Each layer of paper had to be torn away to reveal a smaller gift, and the last layer contained a huge package of tooth brushes for everyone in the house. We had a Fishing for Fish game in a small inflatable pool, in which the residents got socks as prizes. We finished with handing out juice boxes and popcorn, and popped in a movie as we quietly slipped out the door. They get very emotional when we leave them, so we thought it best to be a little sneaky this time..

Photo cred: Chris Colverd
Photo cred: Chris Colverd
Photo cred: Chris Colverd
Photo cred: Chris Colverd
Photo cred: Chris Colverd

Photo cred: Chris Colverd


Photo cred: Chris Colverd
Photo cred: Chris Colverd

Overall, it was a great day full of special little moments that I will take with me when I leave this country. I also realized that despite me not having a direct relationship with the Andong Church and its members, I am very grateful to them, especially to Sunny, our main connection. They have included us in this city; they have kept us informed; they have made us feel like we matter and that we are respected here. Sunny is a big reason for connecting the Korean and Foreign community. Without the help from this church, a lot of what we have done here in Andong would not have been possible.

Finally, I was overwhelmed with the amount of residents (about 40) that live in this home and the dedication and selflessness this man shows in order to care for them. The Andong government gives the home 1,000,000won ($1,000) per month. They rely on donations for the rest of their finances, mostly from churches. My co-teacher didn't even know this place existed when I told her about it. $1,000 is less than half of my monthly paycheck. Less than half! Put that into perspective for a second. It's wrong on every level. It really is just unbelievable that they don't get more support. Most of these children and adults residing in this home are disconnected from their families because of their conditions. They either did not know how to care for them or did they did not want to.

A developmental disability does not mean a crappy life. It's sad that it is 2013, and so much of the world is still thinking this way. Where are the resources? Where is the mindset? Where is the education? Where is the selflessness? The open-minded-ness? The educated? The high expectations? Is it up to the minority here to show the compassion and the time, so that it eventually triggers some sort of change? I really do hope so. I hope sooner rather than later- people change. People start to learn.

Hope.

4 comments:

  1. Ha! Found ya! You might not remember me at first, but I'm the bald(-ish) guy from the elephant trip! You came across my mind, while we were watching our pictures from Thailand. By scrolling through your posts, it looks like you're having an amazing time in Korea! How have you been?

    Yours sincerely,

    Thomas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey!! Wow How did you find me?? Do you have a fb? Way easier to talk on there. I'm actually finishing up a blog post on Thailand today.. serious procrastination. Yes, Korea is lovely, but I'll be leaving in February. How are you? What are you guys up to?

      Delete
    2. Hi! Finding you took fairly little effort. I knew your name, I knew where your were from and I knew where you were now. Google is your best friend! I do have a Facebook, yes. Search for 'Thomas van Nijnanten'. I am doing just fine, thank you. We left Thailand the 18th of August, so I have been home for almost a month already. Normal life has started again. Classes, work, etc. etc. Anyway, add me. I would like talking to you, once again!

      Yours sincerely,

      Thomas

      Delete
  2. Wow! I found this post on accident just now as I was Googling my name to see what employers might find...haha. Thanks for the shout-out, girl! This is awesome :) I love that you wrote about the Peace House. I miss it. And you! Hope you're doing well! :D

    ReplyDelete